Translate

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Strongest Thing in Your Life is…



Growing up in my church the pastor had a saying that has always stuck with me:  “The strongest thing in your life is what you’re looking at”.  He was right.  Whether a material focus, a relationship, a career – whatever - if it is front and centre for you, it carries the greatest power in your life for either good or ill. 

Something else is also true – and more powerful.

The strongest thing in your life is what you are saying to yourself”.

Here is a great example of this that recently went viral on Twitter: http://t.co/RzvhJU1LUN
 
On this nomadic journey, our leadership (and personal) experience will enter dark places as well as bright, wide open plains.  Each context brings with it some default self-talk.  In the dark you doubt.  In the light you feel strong.  Both can be deceptive, but that narrative will influence your actions and reactions.

Two choices face you:

  1. Let the narrative take its course.  Believe it long enough and you will act on it.  Believe it long enough and the narrative will become your story.  The big question here is – is it the story you want? 
  2. Stop and listen to the narrative and ask yourself a few clarifying questions:
  • To what extent is this the narrative I want for my life? 
  •  If I were to live out of this story, who would I be a year from now? 
  •  Am I proud to be associated with this story/narrative?  Is it a legacy I want to leave?  Is this the life I want to live?


Like this kid’s poem, take time to look at the flip side/the reverse of your current story.  Maybe that’s the better narrative.

Harv Matchullis

No comments:

Post a Comment