Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

Starting Over


What's it like to leave everything you know to start over in another country?  

In response to my blog post "Welcoming the Foreigner"of Oct 2011 (http://nomadicleader.blogspot.ca/2011/10/welcoming-foreigner.html) I received this email from a reader who herself had come to Canada to 'start over'.  I have received her permission - minus her actual name - to share that email.

Walk a minute in her shoes and let it change the way you walk among the newcomer to your neighbourhood, church, workplace or school.

Harvey


Dear Harv,

I hope this e-mail finds you in a very blessed state. My name is CS.  I'm 23 years old. A good friend of mine forwarded to me the "Welcoming the Foreigner" article sometime last October. I read it then and thought "what a great piece of work" and I can't say I thought much about it until recently when I looked it up and decided to read it again.

I came to Canada 2.5 years ago as a refugee from Zimbabwe and honestly I can't say it has been an easy road. Nobody can ever understand the loneliness, depression, the hurt of being separated from your friends and loved ones unless they go through it themselves…heaven knows it's not easy, but I've had no choice but to 'man up' and be strong.

Transitioning into a new society has been one of the bigger challenges I've had to face in my life with no parents by my side (I just have my sisters) - -mom remained back home and dad died a decade ago. As I was reading through your article, I felt so much longing for someone to talk to, someone to ask me about home, what I miss, my upbringing, my fond memories of home…oh how I longed for that one somebody.  Yes I have my sisters  but they already know what I miss :).  I decided to take myself to school and I just finished my first year at the University of Calgary…with the thousands of students at the university, I find myself all alone having lunch by myself…feeling 'uncool' and inadequate, everyone seems to have their life going great for them, no worries about anything (I know that's not entirely true for everyone).  The few times I get to be around people, everyone is talking about everything I don't have and I find no reason to say anything since I don't have any of those things…makes me have this low esteem, thinking that everyone is better than me.  All I'll be thinking about will be, “I don't have rent money and my tuition fees are only half paid”, whereas those around me all are talking about the comforts of their homes and parents etc.

I hate thinking like that.  I know I'm a child of God and I'm just as worthy, but sometimes if you don't feel appreciated, or even noticed enough to be asked how your day was, you tend to feel rather unimportant right?  I miss home badly. All I do is study in my room, watch things online, sometimes I realize that the weekend is over and I did not even open the door for some fresh air. Pardon me if I'm coming out as though I'm just feeling sorry for myself, that's not my intention, I know I'm not the 1st one in a situation like this and certainly won't be the last one…I just wanted to let it out of my chest.

I must say though that the article challenged me to be a better person myself and be of service to other immigrants who need help especially with the fact that I know what it feels like to be in a new society trying to start a new life, surrounded by new things and so on. I volunteered at the Calgary Immigrant Women's Association when I 1st got here and working with other immigrants was rewarding, it taught me a lot of things especially Humility and Love…your article has challenged me exercise that humility and love every minute of my life. So for that I thank you.

Sincerely,

CS

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Harv for including this note. Having 'adopted' a young Pilipino man it has opened our eyes to the realities of what these dedicated, but often so very lonely brothers and sisters feel. Yesterday, including him in our ‘father’s day’ activities and reassuring him that as long as he chooses to be in this country he is a part of our family, was a wonderful experience for us all. Thanks for keeping us aware of the realities of those we would otherwise tend to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken. In some ways all we have to do is think about what we longed for when we made a move across a city or a country, then 'do unto others'. What we longed for is what a newcomer longs for.

    ReplyDelete